Fairport Harbor Public Library is a member of the CLEVNET consortium of 45 library systems across 12 different counties with 12 million items and approximately 1 million customers in Northeast Ohio, CLEVNET allows you access to the vast collections of every participating library. Fairport Harbor Public Library is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of seven members who volunteer their time and expertise.
The library was first established in 1921 for both school and public use. It was organized by Mr. M.C. Helm, Superintendent of Fairport schools. The library was located in one supply room on the first floor of McKinley Grade School. One thousand books were ordered from the State Library. The public as well as the students were invited to use the library.
The library was formally established in 1922 with the building of a High School in Fairport and a resolution by the school board to create a public library in the school. Most of the children’s books remained at Garfield and McKinley school libraries with teachers serving as part-time librarians.
The building in which the library is now housed was built in the spring and summer of 1934 as a joint CWA project by the Board of Education and The Board of Library Trustees. The main floor served as a study hall and library for the schools during the day but was also open to the public. The basement housed the Home Economics department of the school. In the 1940s the basement was used for band rehearsals.